Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Dr.'s Vegetable Soup with Zing!

OK, I have had some people ask about this soup so let me explain how I cook. I roughly follow directions, if I like some part of a recipe I will add more than suggested amount. Plus when you make soup and the recipe calls for 1 cup of squash and you are left with 2 cups why not just add that to the pot. So my recipes don't have cups or quarts, you just have to feel what a good amount is, but when it comes to veggies the more the better!


Olive oil                           Onion
Garlic                               Celery with leaves
Squash                             Zucchini
Bell peppers                     Broccoli
Cauliflower                       Mushrooms
Carrots                             Spinach
Potato                              Basil
Parsley                             other options to try (green beans, lentils, shirataki noodles or other tofu
Can of diced tomatoes with chilies (or plain if you don't like spice)
Stock (I used chicken) start with a quart and go up from there
small can of Tomato paste

In a Large pot, saute diced onions and garlic in oil, season with basil and parsley. Add stock and paste.
Here is the tricky part, chop up the vegetables to a size you like (spoon size). I have my boys help chop with a safe vegetable chopper. Add the vegetables to the pot and cook. You may need to add more stock depending on how many veggies you add.

VIDALIA CHOP WIZARD


Here is an idea, I took my boys to the store and told them to pick out 10 vegetables to put in the soup...What a great opportunity to teach them the names and then have them help prepare the dish. When I have a specific  list of veggies I need, I will draw pictures of them from my 4 year old, and give my 7 year old a written list. Then explain why this vegetable is important to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment